Saturday, June 7, 2014

I NEED TO RACE!

I've found myself very frustrated lately.  I've had a lack of motivation with my training in general.  I just can't seem to do anything on a regular basis except my swim class on Tues/Thurs mornings...and even that I've skipped a few times recently.  I need to get back on track.  I've been struggling to figure out what was going to jump start me back into a good routine.

On Thursday and Friday of this past week, I was invited to a getaway trip as a reward for doing a deal with St. John Properties.  They took us to the Hyatt in Cambridge for relaxation at the spa, nice meals, a boat trip and general fun.  It is always a great excursion and I try to do a deal with them every year so that I get invited often.

This year the trip fell on the Thursday and Friday right before Eagleman.  So Friday when I was checking out, the lobby was filled with athletes and their families checking in.  I saw some really cool bikes.  On my drive home, I passed several cars with bikes on their roof racks or on the backs of their cars.  I thought a lot about my training, my lack of motivation and my overall excitement for the athletes doing Eagleman. 

That was it!  I don't have a race on my schedule.  I sat down this morning and did some research on the internet.  I was thinking that I would sign up for a sprint distance some time in mid to late July.  I found the Diamond in the Rough triathlon in Perryville.  They offered a sprint distance and an olympic distance.  I looked at the Olympic and realized that the run was only 5 miles instead of the standard 6.2 miles.  So I immediately thought "I could run 5 miles!"  Before I knew it, I had registered for the Olympic distance. 

So now I have a race on my schedule.  I have 35 days until race day.  I have a lot of work to do in a short amount of time!  I will have to plan on doing a run/walk because I can't imagine that I'll be running 5 miles by then considering I'm only at 2 now.  But if I really put a focus on my run and do some hill repeats on the bike, I should be OK to finish the race. 

I am never one to take the easy route on anything but I am a little worried that I've bitten off more than I can chew with this one.  But this is exactly what I needed to get my training back in line.  Now if you will excuse me, I've got to go for a run!

No comments:

Post a Comment