Thursday, January 27, 2011

Welcome!

Welcome to the first post!  I am writing this blog mostly for myself so I can document my progress but if along the way someone can get something out of it, that's a bonus!  I love setting goals for myself and tracking my progress.  But one of the other things I LOVE about running is watching other people accomplish their goals!  In this blog I will talk about my running buddies and their goals too.  I always do much better when I'm cheering for someone else.  So I hope you enjoy my celebrations of my own accomplishments as well as the accomplishments of my friends.

So let me introduce you to the base crew.  Colleen is a friend who I met at Live Long Fitness.  We became close through tons of squats, lunges, wall balls and sprints at 6 am.  She kind of reluctantly joined the running group, although she said she didn't run in the cold (she does now) and she said she didn't run long distances (she does that too)!  I was so honored to run a 10 mile race with her and help her get through her longest run ever.  I realized how much I loved encouraging her to do her best!  Barry is another of the 6 am workout buddies.  He is a machine and is just now realizing how strong and fast he can be.  He has signed up for the Tough Mudder in April and I can't wait to see him muscle through those challenges!  Lisa is the owner of Live Long Fitness and has run just about every distance race.  She has been a huge help to me in developing training plans, coaching me and calming me down when I get the pre-race freak outs.  Chris is the owner of OC Tri Running.  He has done the Ironman races and is such a wealth of information on training!  I have set a goal of completing a sprint triathlon this summer and I am leaning on Chris for a great deal of advice.

My next race is a 10 miler on March 6th.  Since I haven't run anything more than 4 miles since November, I'm a little nervous about it.  Colleen, Barry, Lisa and I talked about our training plans this morning and I feel much more comfortable about the plans for the 10 miler.  Last year I ran the race completely unprepared and I don't ever want to run a race like that again!  We will see how my long run goes on Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Love It! Spread the love and joy that runners everywhere can appreciate.
    I have enjoyed watching Karen transform from a "out of the loop for a bit" mom into the powerhouse she is today, AND she's just starting her journey. It's hard not to get sucked into her enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete