Monday, July 30, 2012

Dry Runs and Lost Children

The past 2 Saturdays have started with me running miles and miles in the rain.  I was so pleased when I woke up this Saturday morning and saw the sun!  I ran 5.5 miles.  It was a bit sticky but otherwise a pleasant run.  My running partner for the day was a lady named Glenda.  For some reason, I was really struggling in the last mile of the run.  Normally at that point, I'm OK mentally because I know that I'm almost finished.  It was surprising to me to have such a mental challenge.  I was grateful when Glenda continually encouraged me to keep going.  I love running with people!

Sunday I decided to meet the 5K training group. My plan called for a recovery run and I figured it would be better to do that run with a group.  My daughter, Ryann, decided to come with me.  The running group broke into smaller groups...the runners and the run/walkers.  Ryann went with the run/walkers and I joined the runners.  I had a very nice, easy run around Centennial Lake.  The loop is about 2.2 miles.  When I finished, the running coach, Meghan, told me that Ryann had kept going when the other run/walkers turned back.  So I figured I would run the opposite way until I met her and we could finish together.

So I'm running, and running, and running.  After a mile in the opposite direction, I know Ryann either took a side path and is lost or she turned back the other way.  I was praying that she turned back, but at every offshoot from the main path, I screamed her name.  After going another half mile, I started to run FAST.  I kept saying, please be at the end, please be at the end, please be at the end.

I came around the final turn and could see where the running group gathered.  I saw Ryann standing with Meghan.  I started crying.  Meghan yelled "I have her!"  I could only throw up my hands and whisper "yay, thank you".  She then yells "are you OK?"  I gave her a weak thumbs up.  Finally I got to them and hugged Ryann and thanked Meghan. 

At that point, knowing she was safe, I realized how fast I had run that second lap...and I was exhausted...but thankful that she was OK.  What a day!

1 comment:

  1. I said to Ryann, "Oh God, your mom's not back yet and you didn't see her? She's probably worried sick!!" I'm sorry that you had that horrible feeling that she wasn't ok. Great running with you, again :)

    ReplyDelete