Monday, August 6, 2012

It Was a Good Weekend

I was without Internet access this weekend, so that's why I wasn't able to post in a few days.  So this post might be a bit longer than my normal entries.

Saturday I had to do a long run.  Being in Betterton meant that I was not able to run with my training group.  I've always had a very difficult time running alone.  Knowing that I was scheduled to run 7-9 miles ALONE was weighing on my mind the whole trip down.  I mapped out a run that was just over 8 miles.  Because of the busy day we had on Saturday, I got up at 6 and headed out.

It was a sticky, humid morning and several areas had quite a bit of fog.  I did well until I got into the town of Still Pond.  I had planned a break for water and taking in some fuel.  I couldn't seem to get myself back together.  I struggled mentally and physically for the next mile or so.  I gave in an walked for quite a bit.  There was even a point where I considered calling someone to come pick me up.

I'm not sure what changed, but at some point I started running again and didn't stop.  The rest of the run felt good.  I noticed that my breathing was good...I was in the zone!  What a great feeling to get through a mental challenge on my own!

I've recently been talking with some friends about doing a triathlon.  Any of my long time readers know that this is not the first time I've toyed with the idea of a tri. So when I was talking with my neighbor Maureen Saturday evening, I asked her if she would swim with me Sunday morning.  She is part of a group that regularly swims from the public beach to the cottages...a swim that she has been told is a mile.

Sunday morning I was questioning this decision, but I put on my bathing suit and went to meet Maureen.  She handed me a swim cap and off we went.  I was very tentative at the start...I didn't even put my head in the water because I was worried about where I was going.  But about halfway through I relaxed and tried to enjoy the swim.

It was physically challenging.  I could only do one stroke for a little bit before I switched to a different stroke because I was tired.  I could tell that Maureen was swimming at my slow pace but she was encouraging me the entire way.  Here's a photo of us at one point in our swim...I'm the one attempting to do a crawl stroke while Maureen is doing an energy-saving breaststroke.  I couldn't seem to get the breaststroke to work for me so I mostly did the crawl or the backstroke.  I think I would be laughed off the course if I did a backstroke in an actual race!

So I've realized that if I am going to do a triathlon, I have a long way to go!  But my first "open water swim" is under my belt and I feel good about that.  Now to conquer my fear of the bike...

No comments:

Post a Comment