Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Love My CCR Training Group!

Continuing my freak out session concerning the triathlon, I went to track practice last night with the intention of having people who have experience with triathlons tell me that I can either do it or that I should wait until after the Baltimore Half.  Every single one of my friends from the training group basically said it would be no big deal for me.  Really?  I'm glad they are confident in me but I don't share that same confidence just yet.

There were 2 people who I really wanted to hear their opinion:  Abby and Andi.  Abby is my friend who I've known for about 13 years.  She does ultramarathons, Iron Man Triathlons and numerous other endurance events.  Andi is my friend who I recently put a link to the profile that Runner's World online did on her.  Andi is relatively new to triathlons but just completed the Columbia Iron Girl Triathlon.

So as soon as I mentioned it, Abby got really excited.  In her purely Abby way, she has already planned out how she's going to let me borrow her belt (apparently I need one to put my race number on my back for the bike and on my front for the run), her box (I didn't know I needed this but it's what you put your stuff in that you'll need for the transition from swim to bike and she said you can also sit on it to put on your shoes) and she's already thinking on a suit for me (definitely not a full wetsuit because the swim is so short and it will be a hassle to get it on and off).  Andi was just so excited for me.  Both of them said that I will be able to finish it.

This brings me to the title of my post today.  I love my CCR training group!  I have met some really interesting people, some very supportive people who I think will become long term friends, and some great resources for information on events I am curious about trying.  I also love running with such a diverse group.  I tend to stick with the 2 girls who are my speed...Glenda and Heather...but I also enjoyed Saturday's run where there was a bigger group of us staying together for part of the run.  I love to see the different ability levels and how everyone looks at training differently.

So now that I've gotten some tips from Abby and some encouragement from the rest of my friends at the training group, I've decided that I'm going for it!  I am registered for my first triathlon!  Gulp....

No comments:

Post a Comment