Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Hazards of Drinking and Googling

Last night I drank a glass of red wine.  True confession:  it was a really BIG glass of red wine.  When I drink red wine, I feel like I can do things that I wouldn't otherwise feel capable of doing...like a triathlon...in a couple of weeks...

So there I am, drinking my red wine and googling "sprint triathlons".  Turns out there is one on Oct. 6th in Snow Hill.  My friend Matt did it last year.  So I sent him an email asking if he had a good experience and if he was going to do it again this year.  He responded almost immediately and said that it was a great race for a beginner and yes he was considering doing it again this year.  He went on to say that he would probably register in the next day or 2. 

I started to get excited about this sprint tri...so I sent a text to Running Buddy Colleen and ask if she thinks I'm crazy for considering it.  She replies back that she and Michelle were just talking about doing that triathlon!  So now I'm really excited.  I start googling "triathlon suits".

My only hesitation is that it's one week before the Baltimore Half.  But, according to my training plan, I'm supposed to run 6-8 miles that day.  How much different is the effort if I swim 1/2 mile, bike 17 and run 3.1?  I'm thinking (in my intoxicated state) that it's totally achievable.  Plus the course is flat...so it's less effort that riding and running on hills like I do around here.  I start googling "preparing for your first triathlon".

Now that I'm sober and it's the next day, I'm starting to have my doubts.  I can swim 1/2 mile...I can bike 17 miles...and I can run 3.1 miles.  Can I do all 3 activites together?  Will I look like an idiot because I don't know what I'm doing?  Matt said it's good for beginners but will there be people there showing me what to do?  Will I get kicked in the head by the other faster swimmers?  Running races are easy because you just show up, pin on your race bib and run.  But this event requires all sorts of logistical things that I'm not used to...like finding my bike after swimming in chilly October water.  They say the water temperate averages 68 degrees.  That sounds really cold to me.

If I have any readers, please provide your opinions on this.  Should I do this tri?  Is it too close to the Baltimore Half?  If you've ever done a tri, please tell me what to expect!

UGH.  I should not drink red wine on a weeknight...especially when there is a computer involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment