Saturday, September 1, 2012

Brick

Now that I've committed to this triathlon, I decided that instead of today's long run, I was going to do a run/bike.  I talked to Andi about what she does for training and she described a training session consisting of a 2 mile run, 10 mile bike and 2 mile run.  I thought that would be good, except I needed my workout to be 2 hours today so I planned to do 3 miles, 12 miles, 3 miles.

My run felt good, although because I allowed myself to sleep in a little bit, it was already pretty humid.  When I got back to the house, my "transition" to the bike was pretty long so I'm not sure that I got the full effect of the workout.  I got on the bike and headed out of town.

I was feeling much more confident on this ride than on my first one.  Even though I was riding on roads with cars, the shoulder was big enough that I felt comfortable.  I decided to push it and see how fast I could go for the 10 miles.  I struggled on some of the hills but overall averaged over 14 miles per hour.  Pretty good for my 2nd ride in my opinion!  I forgot to reset the computer on my bike until I was almost out of town, which I'm thinking was about .75 miles.  So the computer said I rode 10.4 miles but in actuality it was over 11. 

Once I got back to the house, I drank some water, popped a jelly bean or 2, put on my water belt and started running.  Now I know why it's called a brick workout.  My legs felt like complete bricks.  I couldn't really make them move.  My knees hurt too and I didn't want to do damage so I modified my run from 3 miles to 1 mile.  I don't know how to feel about this.  On one hand, I know it was the right thing to do so that I didn't hurt myself, but on the other hand, I need to get used to running after biking if I'm going to finish the tri.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to swim.  I definitely need some practice there!

No comments:

Post a Comment