Friday, September 28, 2012

Hilly 10

Since I ran the 5K on Saturday, I did my long run for the week on Sunday.  Saturday was also the day where we could have run the course of the Baltimore half.  Because a lot of the group didn't want to run the course, we met on Sunday to do our long run.  It was a skeleton group, but I ran with Heather and Erin.

The course that Meghan had picked for us was a new one to all 3 of us.  I asked Meghan before we ran if it was hilly.  She said "is it Howard County?"  So that meant yes, it's hilly!  Ugh.

As we started running, Heather and I both confessed that we had gone out to dinner late the night before and both had several drinks.  So we were feeling a bit fuzzy at the beginning of the run.  hehe

We agreed to take the run easy.  The morning was crisp and I started the run with my jacket on.  Of course it wasn't long before I got too hot and tied the jacket around my waist.  The pace felt good and the conversation was flowing.  Before we knew it, we were half way done!  The hills were pretty rough, but we all agreed that it was a good training run for Baltimore.

I can remember how shell-shocked I was after the first time I ran Baltimore.  I was used to running on the Eastern Shore where not only are there no hills, there are no inclines!  It's FLAT.  Really FLAT.  So even though I ran "hills" on the bridge at Assateague, I was unprepared for the inclines.  Literally none of the race is flat.  It's all either uphill, downhill or on a slant of some kind.  Now that I'm training on that same type of terrain, at least mentally I'm in a better position to accept it.  I really hope I'm prepared for the hills!

No comments:

Post a Comment