Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Swimming Drills

Sunday was a really fun swim class.  We did our normal drills, breaking down the stroke and focusing on each aspect of it.  I realized that I was not "pulling" properly under the water.  As soon as I made the minor modification, I noticed that I was going faster with no additional effort.  YAY!

So we started doing some drills where we were sprinting.  Now, being the competitive person that I am, it was very important for me to know how I measured up in this class.  Keep in mind that this is the intermediate class and the first session made me feel very slow...but I've made some pretty big improvements since then.

So the first sprint, I touched the wall and immediately looked to my right where the "faster" lanes were.  I'd estimate that I was about the 4th to touch the wall (out of about 15 swimmers in the first group).  Each subsequent sprint was about the same.  I was anywhere from 3rd to 5th...definitely in the top group every time!!! 

I know that swimming in the triathlon is going to be significantly different than swimming the drills in the pool.  But this class was exactly the confidence booster that I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment