Friday, April 5, 2013

Ponytails Don't Bounce on the Bike

I am having a bit of an identity crisis recently.  You may have noticed that I haven't been posting very often.  Well, there's a few reasons for that.  First of all is my overwhelming laziness.  Second, well...how should I put this...I don't feel much like a runner anymore.

My ponytail hasn't been bouncing much lately.  I did run today and it felt awkward and difficult.  It was a beautiful day and my head decided that I should get out there and run.  My body had other ideas after about a mile.  My ankles hurt, my legs felt sluggish and my heart just wasn't in it...so I headed back home.  Maybe I just need to get out there and run more.  I've been off my schedule for running.

And then there's the bike.  Yes, the bike.  I am falling in love with my bike.  It's so pretty but it's capable of really cool things!  Let me tell you a little story about why I'm falling in love with my bike...

Tuesdays have always been my cycling class.  Since January we've been riding inside a warehouse on indoor trainers.  This past Tuesday was our first cycling class outside.  Even though it's April, Tuesday was a COLD and windy day.  I was very nervous as I drove into the parking lot where we were meeting.  I'd never ridden on these roads and I didn't see anyone that I recognized.  Luckily Abby showed up shortly after I did...so at least I knew one person!  Then right as we were about to take off, Emily showed up.  2 people!

So I figured I would hang out mid-pack and see how it went.  I knew that the main purpose for that day's ride was for John and the other instructors to evaluate us and divide us into 3 groups:  A for the best riders, B for the middle group and C for the beginners and slower cyclists.  I was expecting to be in the B group...although the competitive side of me really wanted to be in the A group.

We rode a 2.5 mile out and back as a warm up.  During this warm up, I realized quickly that I don't belong in the middle of the pack.  I was passing people without much effort.  I found my comfort spot in position 6 or 7.  So after the warm up, John made us "do a little hill" as he said with an evil laugh.  Then he clarified and said it's a steady climb with a steep incline right at the top.  He said that the hill would really show us where we were in our abilities.

Because of a newbie pedal mistake, I again started this ride in mid-pack and again passed several people right away.  John advised me to switch to the small ring, which I did immediately.  I had no idea what I was in for, and if the expert says to be in the small ring, I'm going to listen even though I much prefer the big ring.  About half way up the hill, my legs were on fire, but I was determined to keep going.  3/4 of the way up, I was convinced that I was going to have to get off and walk.  Then something amazing happened...I glanced up and saw that there were only 3 people in front of me!  Holy cow...really?  That gave me the jolt I needed to make it up the steepest part.  I was so happy to reach the top of that hill!!!

So at this point, my confidence was at an all time high.  I just reached the top of this enormous hill with only 3 people in front of me!  I wasn't going fast but I was going at a steady pace.  Woo hoo!  A Group here I come!!

We rode for another few miles struggling to get our breathing back under control and give our legs a rest.  We stopped and waited for the entire group to gather.  John said that he was really impressed with our pace and our hill work.  He said it was going to be harder than he thought to divide up the group.  He put the C Group together and had them work with one of the other instructors for the remaining time.  The rest of us he said were going to race back.  Now you're talking my language John!!!

So we took off...again I was mid-pack...I have to get better about starting closer to the front.  Anyway, I passed everyone and found myself in 6th place.  Emily and I were jockeying for position the entire ride back.  With about a half mile left, I dropped it into a harder gear and smashed the pedals and went all out.  I flew by her and passed one other person before getting to the finish.  That was fun!

So after everyone finished the race, it was decision time.  John had to split us up into the A Group and the B Group.  We were standing on the side of the road, and not everyone was lined up where they finished the race.  So I was about 10 or 11 back, about a half bike length in front of Emily.  John basically said everyone in front of me and Emily were the A Group and everyone from Emily back was the B Group.  It was unclear which group he intended me to join, so I looked at him about to ask.  Before I could speak he said, "Oh Karen...you're in the A Group".  YIPPEEEEE!!! 

Now here's why this story is relevant to falling in love with my bike...I have always been a mediocre runner, but on the bike I'm GOOD.  I can compete with myself in running and try to better my previous times, which I have enjoyed doing for the past few years.  But on the bike, I feel a whole new level of competition.  I can actually keep up with the "good" cyclists now.  I love the feeling that I'm good at something.  So I think that my ponytail is going to be riding a bit more often than it bounces.

No comments:

Post a Comment