Monday, April 15, 2013

Boston

I have several blog entries that have been swirling around in my head.  I've had some good success lately in my athletic endeavors that I'd like to share with you.  But that will have to wait for another day.

Today was the Boston Marathon and unfortunately someone used this event to orchestrate a catastrophy.  I am having a hard time putting together words to describe how I'm feeling, so please forgive me if this blog entry is rambling.  I feel like this is my only outlet for my emotions right now.

I just heard via Twitter that an 8 year old was one of the fatalities.  I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that child was there to see their mommy or daddy cross the finish line.  I can't comprehend this.  What kind of evil is behind this?

But in the midst of the chaos, I've also heard reports of runners finishing the marathon and going straight to the hospital to donate blood.  The human spirit is alive and well!  There is good in the midst of evil.

I have said that I will probably never do a full marathon.  I have several challenges - my knees being the biggest - that prevent me from accomplishing this feat.  I have a huge respect for the marathon and those who have completed it.  That finish line represents so many things that are deeply personal to each runner.  There is a reason why you see people cry when they finish a marathon.  It's a very emotional experience, and is the culmination of months and years of training and sacrifice.

There are family members who stand at that finish line to see their loved ones complete this test of human strength.  I could have never imagined that a finish line would be scene of such horror and tragedy.  Runners, spectators, volunteers and officials are among the injured and killed.  We are only now getting pieces of the story.

I am a runner.  I am proud to say that.  I am proud of my accomplishments.  I am proud of the people in my life who also call themselves runners.  I am proud of the support that my friends and family give me in my pursuit of these goals.  I am proud of the runners who qualified for Boston.  I am proud of those who finished today, and those who didn't.  I am proud of the first responders who, by all accounts, were amazing in their response to the blasts.

I am proud of what the Boston Marathon has always stood for and what it will represent from now on.  Boston was a tragedy and my heart is heavy for the lives lost and so many who were injured.  My thoughts are with everyone watching as this story unfolds.  We are all changed by events like this.  But I know runners...we will not stop running...and Boston will still be held up as the ultimate marathon. 

My thoughts and prayers are in Boston tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment