Friday, June 21, 2013

Analyzing Results

When I finally had a moment to look up the race results from the Dragonfly Triathlon, I was amazed at how fast the fast people went.  There were some REALLY good people at the triathlon last Sunday.  The nice lady with the fancy tires finished her swim in 6:57!! Holy cow.  The top male finisher completed the course in 52:28 more than 2 full minutes ahead of the 2nd place finisher. 

I also saw that the woman who got 2nd in my age group beat me by 4 minutes.  So my crazy side is starting to come out.  Without the kick in the head, I could have had a better swim and possibly cut off at least 2 minutes.  That would have also meant a faster transition...shave off another 30 seconds...

See...that's just crazy...you never know who is going to show up for the race.  You never know what the weather will be like.  You never know what the other factors will be for any given day.  So trying to analyze the numbers and see if there was any way I could have gotten 2nd place is just plain CRAZY!

I guess this is a fault and a strength of mine.  Without this form of crazy, I might not push myself so hard and therefore never really achieve my full potential.  Without this form of crazy, I definitely would have stopped at Rock Hall when it got hot on the run or when I got kicked in the head at the Dragonfly.  I think athletes in general have to have some of this craziness in order to keep going when things get challenging.

This crazy also leads to me checking the national USAT rankings.  Yes, I'm a nationally ranked triathlete!  Well, it's still unofficial since the Dragonfly results have not posted yet, so USAT doesn't know that I've done 3 events this year.  But once the Dragonfly results go up there, I'm on the national rankings!  That's so funny to me.  I'm an old lady who is just out there trying to blow off a little steam and have some fun while I do it. 

Well...and to have some results to analyze.  The crazy side of me thrives on going through the numbers.  And you know that once I get that national ranking, I will be posting it right here!  (And doing everything I can to keep moving up that ranking!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment