Thursday, October 31, 2013

Taper Torture

For 14 weeks I have been loosely following a half ironman training plan that I found on the internet.  This is week 15 which begins the taper.  The intensity and the distance of all of my workouts are beginning to ease a bit.  This messes with my head.

I saw Anne last night at Spin90.  She was asking about my remaining workouts.  I told her that the plan called for me to run 10 miles on Saturday. She declared that 10 miles was too much and that I shouldn't do more than 6 or 7.  I like her plan better than my internet plan!!!

Swim class was a tough one today.  We did a ton of 100's.  I was thoroughly exhausted at the end of the session.  I talked to Pam about race strategy and she gave me the best advice ever:  "Just relax and enjoy the experience." 

I keep reminding myself that I am physically ready for this and all I need to do is keep my head together.  I keep coming up with all these reasons why it's going to be hard.  Of course it's going to be hard! It's a half ironman for God's sake! 

So since I don't have the intense training to focus on, now I have all my worrying to focus on.  All the little details of the trip, the race, etc. are stressing me out.  If I can survive the next week and a half, I can definitely finish the race!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment