Saturday, October 11, 2014

Lane 4? Really?

I started in the swim program about halfway through the summer of 2013.  I started in lane 1...the slow lane.  I didn't last long there and was moved to lane 2 where I comfortably hung out for several months.  Towards the beginning of the summer, I was consistently swimming in lane 3.  Summer attendance was so low that we all just swam in whatever lane because there were typically not more than 2 swimmers per lane.

Pam is back now.  (She takes the summer off from teaching/coaching us.)  Because Pam is back, the attendance has grown signifcantly.  So there has been some lane shuffling.  On Tuesday, one of the lane 4 swimmers left class when it was only halfway through.  So Pam shifted ME to lane 4 in order to even out the number of swimmers.  Yes, I said that Pam moved ME into lane 4.

Now there are only 5 lanes in my swim class.  Lane 4 and 5 are the FAST lanes.  They typically swim more yardage because they can cover the more distance in the same amount of time.  They are really nice people but really intimidating swimmers.  So here I was moving into lane 4.  I was terrified.

I took my place last in the lane.  I was just hoping to hold my own.  As we continued with the intervals, I noticed that while I wasn't keeping up with the lane 4 swimmers, I was definitely outpacing the lane 3 swimmers.  I would start the interval at the same time as their third swimmer but I would finish before their second swimmer!

On Thursday we had 4 swimmers in lane 3.  I started as the third place swimmer.  For every interval, I had to slow down because I was catching the swimmers in front of me.  It was definitely holding me up.  I decided to ask them if I could try to lead the lane.  When I was going as the first swimmer, I was able to stretch the space between myself and the swimmers behind me. 

When class was over, I spoke with Pam to let her know that I wouldn't be at class next Tuesday.  She mentioned to me that I needed to either lead lane 3 or move to lane 4.  She said that I am "a really good swimmer"!  I couldn't believe my ears!

In my mind I am still that slow swimmer from a year and a half ago.  I have really come far in my development...and I need to remind myself that I am stronger than I think I am.  Lane 4?  It's still very scary...but I can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment