Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Run, Run, Run

So if there are any readers left on this blog, you have probably noticed a theme...running has not been my favorite thing lately.  As a matter of fact, I have not really gone for a run since August unless you count the triathlon in early Oct. 

However, for the last 2 weeks, the only thing on my mind is running.  Now I haven't actually gone for a run, but I'm working up to that. 

Last weekend was the Baltimore Running Festival.  I raised money for The Frannie Foundation and signed up for the 5K.  I beat my fundraising goal and was very proud of that fact.  Unfortunately my husband had to go out of town that weekend for work.  So I was left with no childcare coverage for the race.

There were several offers to watch my kids, but really I was OK with not running the race.  It's always an amazing atmosphere to be around...but it's also very challenging to get down to the city on race day.  I didn't want to leave the girls with a sitter for that long of a time and I didn't want my parents to take them to Betterton for the whole weekend. 

So I didn't run.  But I watched the entire TV coverage of the marathon.  I was reminded of how much I have struggled with the half marathon both times that I ran it...but how amazing I felt when I was finished.  I remembered last year's fun of being part of a relay team.  I wished I was there and I wished I was running.

Yes, I said it...I wished I was running!  This is a breakthrough folks!  I wished I was running!

So here's the new plan...I am going to slowly build up mileage and then I'm going to sign up for the winter half marathon training group.  My running buddy Heather sent me a FB message and said that she's going to do the same thing.  We will pick a spring half marathon to do together!  This will motivate me to keep focused during my training and it will be great preparation for a half Ironman early in the season.

I need to get over the excuses that are keeping my from running.  I woke up this morning and it was raining...so I didn't run.  I need to stop thinking about running...I need to stop wishing I was running...I need to START RUNNING!

No comments:

Post a Comment