Sunday, May 19, 2013

Open Water Swim Clinic

Saturday morning I got up super early and drove an hour to the Gunpowder State Park for an open water swim clinic.  The morning air was cool.  I was nervous but excited.

Anne and Pam were the instructors who I worked with during February and March.  They were also teaching this clinic which made me feel a little bit more comfortable.  Anne knew about my disastrous swim in Nanticoke.  So when they said we were splitting up into beginner and intermediate levels, I wasn't sure which to join.  I asked Anne and without hesitation, she said I should go with the intermediate group, which was with Pam.  As I walked over, I told Pam that I wasn't sure I should be with the intermediate group.  She told me that I would be fine.

We got into the water and did a "warm up" swim.  My heart rate was through the roof and I barely was able to keep up with the group.  My head was messing with me again.  I kept telling myself to just calm down.

So over the course of 2 hours, we swam drills and practiced everything from breathing, to stroke mechanics, to body rotation.  After about 10 minutes, I stopped thinking and just swam.  That's the key!  Just don't think!! I just relaxed and was able to swim. 

By the end of the clinic, we did some longer sustained swims.  We all started together, and I started at the back since I had been one of the slower ones up to that point.  When the long swim was over, I realized that there was about half of the group behind me!  Wow.  So I'm not a fast swimmer, but I held my own with this intermediate group.  I was very happy.

I didn't really learn anything new in this class.  All of the things she taught us were the same things we worked on in the indoor swimming classes.  But what I accomplished was gaining a significant amount of confidence.  We swam a lot...for 2 hours!  If I can do that, then I can definitely swim .9 miles in the triathlon!

I left there thinking that it was the best investment of time and money that I could have made.  I am now excited to get in the water at the Rock Hall Triathlon and see what I can do!  I'm not scared anymore.  Thank you Anne and Pam!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment