Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Triathlon Preview

This weekend we were in Betterton and I took the opportunity to ride the bike course for the triathlon.  As we drove into Rock Hall, we drove the run course, so that helped too.  The run course is completely flat and seems to be shaded for a portion of the run.

The day was a windy day.  I'm not sure of the wind speed but on the Eastern Shore, any wind can seriously impede progress on a bike.  My speed on the bike was definitely impacted by the wind,

As I started out on the bike, my wireless computer was not picking up the sensor.  I stopped a few times to try to fix it.  Finally one last adjustment made the difference and the computer was working.  As John has said several times, you can't let technology hold you back...but on that ride I really wanted my technology to work!  So I took the time to fix it.  In the race I probably would not have done that.

The bike course is mostly back roads.  I was surprised at how rough the roads were in several places.  The way that they fill potholes is to pour gravel in the pothole.  As cars drive over it, the gravel gets packed in and evens out the road.  However, the fresher gravel tends to be loose and for a novice biker like me, that can be dangerous.  The road itself was bumpy in several spots.  This could be a very interesting ride!

Last year I rode a portion of the bike course with Daryl and his friends from Cross Courts.  So I knew that there was a hill on Earl Nicholson Rd.  I was enjoying the rolling hills up to that point.  There is just enough of a grade difference to make it interesting, but nothing was what I would call a challenging climb.  But I kept thinking about that hill on Earl Nicholson.

I rounded the corner onto Earl Nicholson fully prepared to see a steep incline in front of me.  Well, there was a hill but it wasn't a big hill...nor was it steep.  How far I have come in my cycling!  I flew up the hill on Earl Nicholson like it was nothing.  I hope to do the same on race day.  I had a huge smile on my face thinking about how hard I thought that hill was not even a year ago.

As I got out onto the busiest road, Route 20, I was hit in the face by the wind again.  On the back roads, I was protected somewhat by the trees.  But on Rt 20, there was no protection.  Cars were whizzing past me and I'm struggling to keep my speed at 15 MPH.  In the gusts, my speed dropped down to 10 MPH...on a flat road!  I couldn't believe how much energy I was expending. This picture was taken on Rt 20 in the height of the headwind.  So yes, I am working very hard and not going anywhere!!

Overall, I'm looking forward to the bike portion of the race.  It was great to preview the course.  I am just praying for no wind on race day!

The next morning I went for a swim.  It was the same swim I had done a few weeks ago when we were in Betterton.  I definitely took a lot more rest breaks that I should in the triathlon, but I felt good overall.  Stephen was in the kayak and said that I looked stronger and was faster than a few weeks ago.

The swim is still my weakest part.  I hope that I can finish the .9 miles in the race without too many problems.  My swim sets up the whole race.  It might take me awhile to finish, but if I do the swim well, my confidence will be boosted for the rest of the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment