Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Coach Karen?

I received a call yesterday from a good friend and fellow commercial real estate broker.  She volunteers for an organization that provides assistance to breast cancer patients.  Their largest annual fundraiser is a 5K walk. 

Last year they added a run component to the 5K.  They had 5 training locations around the city for people who were working to complete their first 5K run.  This year they are adding more training groups, including one in Columbia.  So my friend was calling to see if I would consider being a coach for the Columbia training group. 

I would LOVE to do this.  Helping people learn how to complete their first 5K sounds like a dream.  I'm already picturing myself at the finish line cheering on my team of runners!  Plus they would pay me!  It's not much, but definitely makes it worth my time...which would only require one hour a week on Saturday mornings.  I could totally do that.

EXCEPT...

I'm having foot surgery. 

UGH

There really isn't a way that I can train people to run unless I can run with them.  Of course we could meet at a track and I could holler at them as they ran in circles for an hour...but I don't think that would instill a love of running.  It wouldn't be fun for them or for me.  NOPE...if I can't run, I can't train.

I'm so disappointed!  I told her that if they found someone to do it this year, I would take it over next year.  But I really wanted to do it this year.  I know in my heart it's the right decision not to take on this training responsibility when I can't do it fully...but it's still so disappointing.  I really hope that I am able to do it next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment