Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Start of a Plan

I've been very excited to get back into a training routine.  Yes, I have pain in my foot.  Yes it is going to keep me from running...BUT it does not have to keep me from doing anything! 

Swimming has been fine.  When I went to the pool on Christmas Eve (yes, I did that), it hurt to push off the wall with my foot.  But at today's class I was painfree!  I do think that the 3 weeks that I took off were very beneficial.

The bunion was putting pressure on my seisemoid bones (I still don't know how to spell that word and I'm too lazy to look it up right now...so please forgive me if I'm misspelling it.)  Anyway, since I took some time off, the irritation has gone down and now I'm just experiencing the bunion pain.  That is a much more manageable pain.

Back to my story...today's swim class was great.  I situated myself in Lane 2.  There were 4 of us in the lane and as usual, I chose to be last thinking that I didn't want to slow anyone down.  On several of the intervals I was catching up to the person in front of me.  Huge confidence builder!!  Plus even though I ate my way through the holidays, I was not feeling sluggish in the water.  I was very happy with the swim class today.

Tonight was my first Spin90 class since early December.  I was anxious about my foot, but I made it through the entire class.  It didn't hurt too badly during the class, but now that I'm sitting and relaxing, it hurts a lot.  I think I need to be cognizant of not doing too much but yet doing enough to keep my fitness level.

So my mind started working on a plan today.  Yes, that's always dangerous.  But I was thinking about the time when I'm in the boot after surgery.  I will be significantly limited in the types of activities that I will be able to do.  However, up until today, I was thinking that I wouldn't be able to do much at all and that I would have to pretty much write off those 6 weeks.  Not so!  The more I thought about it today, the more I was convinced that there will be a lot that I can do to stay in shape during that time.

I spoke briefly about this with John today.  He agreed with me and said that he would discuss it with Sandra.  I have not met her, but John said that she is a Level 1 Certified Coach.  I don't honestly know what that means, but it sounds impressive.  Hopefully between Sandra and John, I can put together a workout plan that keeps me fit and in shape so that I don't lose much during my time in the boot.

Call me crazy, but I think I have the start of a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment