Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I RAN!!!

A week ago my doctor cleared me for running.  It was the same day that he had cleared me to get out of the boot.  It was a big day. I was really happy about being out of the boot.  I didn't even think about the running at the time.

It took me about a day to feel comfortable in a shoe.  My foot felt very vulnerable in a shoe.  So just wearing a sneaker was a major accomplishment.  I couldn't think about running...I was just happy to be walking.

It was another day before I could walk without a limp.  I had a slight limp, but was walking pretty well.  Over the weekend I tried on all my shoes.  I could only get into one pair.  It was a tight fit, but I could squeeze my foot into the shoe. 

Today I wore my shoes...not my sneakers...my work shoes.  I felt great!  I had to walk slowly so as not to limp too badly but I wore regular shoes all day long.

Tonight was the end of season celebration for the Charm City Run group.  I was planning to attend the celebration.  Because of how good I felt today, I decided to go to the track and test out the foot.  I dressed in running gear for the first time in MONTHS.

I stepped on the track.  There were members of the running group already there.  They were about half a lap around the track already.  It didn't matter...I wouldn't have kept up with them anyway.  I took the first few tentative steps.  I was running!  It was slow and I was very careful when stepping with my bad foot...but I was running!

I ran half a lap, then walked half a lap.  I ran another 3/4 lap and walked the final 1/4.  It felt great.  At the end it felt bad.  But now, with a bag of ice on my foot, I am happy because I ran.

No comments:

Post a Comment