Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Track Practice with Little Ones

This post is slightly delayed, but last Wednesday the family and I went to the track. I wanted to see how well I could run..and how well the little ones could run.  I started by going to Charm City Run and having Meghan fit me for some new shoes.  They are pretty!

I started off very tentatively.  Ella and Grace took off in a dead sprint. 
 

It took half a lap for them to stop, lean over and start panting.  Ten seconds later, they were off again in a sprint.  I tried to explain the idea of sustaining the same pace for the duration of the run...but they didn't listen.  They just wanted to sprint...then stop...then sprint.  Grace did 1 lap and Ella did 2 laps...just like they need to do for the triathlon!
 

After they were finished running, they started playing.  In actuality, the playing was sort of running.  They went to the bleachers and chased each other up and down the steps.  I just kept running.

I was able to run for 3 laps without walking. I walked 100 meters to start the 4th lap, then ran the remainder of the lap.  I finished a mile!  I can't remember the last time that I was that excited about running a mile. 

The next day I was very sore.  My foot had swollen up a little bit more and I was limping again.  It wasn't until Sunday that I really recovered.  I think it was good to test it, but I realized that I probably pushed it a little bit too much.  I need to be patient with this recovery.

1 comment: