Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Progress Measured in Shoes

I have measured my recovery from foot surgery in terms of shoes.  The first shoes I could fit into were my running shoes.  They are New Balance and made wider than other brands.  I have a wide toe box even before surgery, which New Balance tends to be able to comfortably accommodate.  But after surgery, it was even more important to have that wide width shoe.  My New Balance shoes were the only thing that I could wear for weeks.

The next step was actually fitting into a pair of my work shoes.  They are not attractive shoes.  They are a closed toe clog-type shoe with a heel.  I wore them an entire day and felt like I had conquered the world.  The next day my foot swelled up again...note to self:  heels are probably a bad idea even if I can fit my swollen foot into the shoe!

I have tried on my cycling shoes several times.  The first time I couldn't get my foot into the shoe.  Two weeks later I could get my foot in the shoe, but couldn't even get close to securing the straps.  Today...foot in shoe with straps secured!  Granted, they are barely closed, but they are closed enough that I am confident that I can ride in them.

The first thing I did was post on Facebook...yes, I'm a Facebook junkie.  The second thing I did was text Daryl and tell him of my success.  I invited myself along to ride with the group that he rides with on Wednesday nights.  I have very little expectation for my ability to keep up.  Daryl is currently crushing every ride that he does.  Luckily, they ride a route that is very familiar to me so I can drop off or turn around at any point.

I am so excited to get back on the bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment