Thursday, May 15, 2014

Back in the Saddle

Tonight was my first time going back to Spin90 since before the surgery.  I wasn't doing much prior to the surgery because of the pain I was in. 

I drove to tonight's class very anxious.  Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely HATE being late.  And I was running late for class.  I really like to get to class at least 15 mins early.  That gives me time to pump up my tires and get all of my gear together before we roll.  Tonight I pulled into the parking lot at 6:12 for a 6:15 class.  Ugh.

It was so great to see my riding friends again!  I was all smiles as I jumped out of the car.  I quickly got the bike off the bike rack and got out the pump.  Madi came over and helped me by pumping my tires while I put on my shoes and got my other stuff together.  I was rushing so that I didn't hold up the class.  I realized that I had forgotten my goggles.  Ugh...major problem because of the wind.  Oh well...I would have to deal with it.

As we rolled off, I was nervous but excited.  I clipped in easily...which for me is a pretty big deal.  John had decided that since the group was small (and most of the riders have races coming up this weekend and 2 of us were either injured or coming off an injury) that we would ride intervals on Race Rd.  This made me VERY happy.  I know that road like the back of my hand!  No intimidating hills.

I hung in the back for the ride out Race Road.  The wind was whipping around and dust was constantly getting in my eyes.  I was wishing for my goggles!!  We went out to the very end of Race Rd - the extended Race Rd.  Our turn-around point is the parking lot for an office building.  I stopped and tried to get the dust out of my eyes.  Tears were streaming down my face.  John rode by and said "either you're having a really tough first day back or you've got dust in your eyes!"

We started back down Race Rd and I was flying.  I was having a ball on the rollers.  I was following Chuck and Hawaii Five-0.  (You know me and my nicknames)  When we got to the stop sign, John commented "wow Karen, good job".  With as stingy as he is with his compliments, that made me SO happy!

So we went back to the regular Race Rd and re-grouped.  The real workout started at this point.  Hard effort going back towards the parking lot and recover on the way back.  I made it 2 intervals and was really feeling it on the 2nd.  My legs are currently feeling very sore.  I can't imagine what they will feel like tomorrow!  My speed was all over the place, but I just focused on maintaining 90 RPM.

It felt SOO good to be back on the bike.  I was a bit humbled because I was so slow.  I am used to riding that road at 22 MPH.  Today I was averaging around 17 MPH.  Wow...big difference.  And on the recovery, I was really slow.  I kept commenting on how slow I was and Madi was very reassuring.  She kept saying "you are NOT slow".  She is the instructor who typically rides with the slow group so she knows slow.  Of course I am slow compared to my "normal" riding pace.  I will get back there.

For now, I have to say that I am thrilled to be riding again. It felt GREAT to be back out there with my Spin90 friends and just to be on the bike again.  Even though I am physically not where I would like to be, I will get back there!

No comments:

Post a Comment