Monday, May 5, 2014

The Run

"The run" has always been a challenge to me.  This is kind of an odd statement if taken at face value. 

I was a runner in high school and actually did pretty well.  I wasn't a star but I held my own.  When I got back into working out, I started running again and started long distance running.  I finished several half marathons and then started doing triathlons. 

I actually enjoyed running for awhile...more for the social aspect of it than the actual running.  However, I can remember a period of time where I even enjoyed running when I was running by myself. But more often, it's been a love/hate relationship with the run.  For the past year or so, I've really struggled to find that love of running. 

So now that I am trying to get back into my workout routine, I am again finding myself having trouble with the run.  I can physically run about a mile before my foot tells me that I need to stop.  But almost from the first step, my head is telling me what a bad runner I am.  My feet start to feel like they are stuck in cement.  Every step gets so heavy. 

I love watching good runners do their thing.  They make running seem so effortless.  They look so natural.  I feel like I either look like Olive Oyl or an elephant. 

As I get back into running, I really want to focus on my form.  I think that if I really work on running "lighter", my running will become fun again.  At least that's what I'm hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment