Friday, September 26, 2014

Change of Perspective

Monday and Tuesday I attended a work retreat.  It was held at the Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa in Southern MD.  I decided to go down on Sunday evening in order to avoid an early rise and questionable traffic.

I got some work done on Sunday night and went to bed.  When I woke up on Monday morning, the first thing I did was look out my window.  It was a beautiful morning.  The sun was just coming up over the water.  The water was calm.  The colors in the sky and reflected on the water made a stunning view.  I just stood there, taking in the whole peaceful scene.

The very first thought I had was "I wish I had brought my running stuff".  That is literally the first time that I have wanted to run in a long time.  I didn't bring my running stuff because I really didn't expect to have the desire to run.  I was trying to save space in the suitcase so I didn't bring anything "extra".  There was a time when my running stuff would never have been considered "extra".

The retreat started and I got wrapped up in the meetings. I learned a lot and consider it a very valuable use of my time.  At the end of the session on Monday, the instructor told us about a running path.  Several of the class members mentioned that they were going to run in the morning.  I was disappointed that I couldn't join them. 

I don't know what happened to trigger this change of heart about running.  For at least a year it has been a struggle to run.  Maybe I just needed a break.  Maybe I just needed to take the pressure off.

Whatever the reason, I am hopeful that this mindset continues.

Next Saturday is the Osprey Triathlon.  It will be the 3rd time I'm doing that race...the first time was my very first triathlon.  I am undertrained.  I am not "race ready".  But I am looking forward to getting out there and participating.  It was at this race that I crossed the finish line and fell in love with triathlons.  I hope to experience that feeling again.

No comments:

Post a Comment