Thursday, July 11, 2013

5K Frenzy

When I first got into running, it was thanks to a 5K.  For the first couple of years I really focused on running faster and faster 5K times.  However, very quickly I got to a place where I just couldn't go any faster.  I'm not a sprinter and I'm not fast.  I'm built much more for endurance than for speed.  So I focused my energies on more endurance runs - the half marathons and 10 milers.  Then of course I got into my current triathlon phase.

So it strikes me as very odd that in the past few weeks, I've been asked to run several 5Ks.  I am excited about these races because they are pretty cool events...but I know that I still will not be fast! 

The first one is on the first Saturday in August in Betterton.  Betterton Day has always been a huge event for my family.  It starts with a parade, we do a big crab feast, and just generally enjoy the day.  This year they are doing a 5K and kids fun run before the parade.  I'm SOOO excited for this!  I think it's the perfect way to start off Betterton Day.

Then my running group is doing the Back to Football 5K at Ravens Stadium.  I mentioned it to Ryann and she said that she wants to do it!!!  Now Ryann used to run 5Ks with me when we lived on the Eastern Shore.  But she got tired of them and told me that it was my thing and not hers...which was fine.  I would never want to push her to do something that she didn't enjoy.  BUT, when she said that she was going to run the 5K with me at Ravens Stadium, I was really happy.

Also, when I was in Mexico, Steph asked me to run with her twice.  It is so great to see people who are new to running!  I loved that she asked me to run with her.  I can't wait to check in with her and see how she's doing with it.

So much more to add since I've not been posting regularly, but it will have to wait for another time...gotta go RUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment