Thursday, July 18, 2013

Beating the Heat

We are in the middle of a huge heat wave.  However, I still have training that I need to get in.  So I've had to find ways to make the heat bearable...or avoid it all together.

Tuesday we were able to get in a good cycling class.  We rode into Patapsco State Park and worked on the rolling hills.  The entire ride was shaded so it was fine...hot but manageable. 

John is on vacation this week so Ben ran the class.  He worked with me individually on the rollers. (I LOVE SPIN90!!!)  He made me stand up in order to sprint the hills.  Now I have to be honest and say that I really hate standing up.  I could only stand up for a few seconds in the indoor class and I have not ever attempted it outdoors.  So when Ben told me to stand up, I disobeyed.  He came up next to me and we "discussed" it.  Basically, he ordered me to stand up so of course I did...but I didn't like it at all.  My knees were locking at the bottom of the pedal stroke and my bike felt totally out of control.

At the summit of the hill, Ben explained to me why we were working on standing up for the hills.  Of course I was breathing hard and my heart was beating like crazy so I only half listened and couldn't tell you much of what he said.  But it made sense enough that on the next hill, I tried it again.  This time my knees didn't lock!  It still felt weird but not as bad as the first time.  By the third time, I felt like I was in control.

Wednesday night was track practice.  Ryann had said that she was willing to go with me.  However, we both decided that the heat was just too intense to do a track workout.  So instead I got up SUPER early this morning and met Abby and Erin M. at River Hill at 5:30 am.  Because it was early in the morning, the heat was not oppressive...plus we ran a lot of the way on a shaded path through the woods.  It was such a fun run because Erin told us all about the marathon she just ran in Montana.  It sounded amazing, plus she had some really cool sightseeing adventures. 

It looks like I can go to the pool tomorrow evening to get in some swimming, then run early Saturday morning and ride early Sunday morning.  Early is the key in this kind of heat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment