Friday, July 12, 2013

Iron Girl Roller Coaster

Several months ago, I agreed to join a relay team for the Columbia Iron Girl Triathlon.  They were desperate for a swimmer so I reluctantly agreed.  I say reluctantly because swimming is by far my weakest leg of the triathlon...and because I have such negative opinions of swimming in Centennial Lake.  But in order to help out the neighborhood ladies, I agreed.

Fast forward to now...emails go around saying that the relay team is falling apart.  Initially I'm relieved.  I don't have to swim in Centennial Lake!!!  So I decided that I was going to volunteer as part of the MMTC crew to help out with the race.  This would be my chance to give back.

Then the emails started that another relay team might need me as a swimmer.  I told them that I would prefer not to, but if they really needed me, I would do it.  Ugh.  I had my hopes set on volunteering.

Then the other relay team falls apart.  Woo Hoo!!  Back to volunteering.

But wait...

It's a sprint...

It is a very challenging course, but after all I could be ready in a month...

OK, I haven't committed to volunteering yet...

I think I might want to do it as an individual...

I really want to do it as an individual...

A few emails later, and I've switched my registration from a relay team member to an individual participant!  I am anxious about the challenging course.  I know at least one of the hills will completely kick my butt.  However, I have 5 weeks.  I have several opportunities to ride that hill and practice.  I can do this!!!

Now if it would just stop raining so I can get out there and train...

No comments:

Post a Comment