Saturday, August 10, 2013

Best Laid Plans...

The problem with a training plan is that not everything always goes as planned.  I had a rough week this past week.  I was feeling sore, tired and a little bit overwhelmed.  So Wednesday night I decided to skip track and give myself a mental and physical break. 

Thursday morning I went to swimming class.  It was good.  I didn't have to stop in order to catch my breath.  I did all of the workout...it just wasn't fast.  After class the instructor came up to me and said, "you seem to show up at all the classes where I really let them have it."  I laughed and said, "I guess I need it!"  I did feel good that I was able to swim 1.25 miles worth of drills.

Friday I had hoped to ride on the BWI trail.  I thought it would be cool to pack up the family and have the little ones watch the planes take off and land while I ride.  Unfortunately as soon as we got there, I saw a lightning bolt.  The skies were blue but off in the distance there was lightning.  So I didn't want to risk it.  We watched a few planes land and then went home.  I was disappointed...but better safe than sorry.

This morning I met Margaret in Glen Burnie.  Our plan was to run 9 miles on the B&A Trail.  It was a nice morning and the humidity seemed to be minimal.  Margaret and I hadn't seen each other for awhile, so we enjoyed chatting and catching up.  The miles went by pretty quickly.  I was worried about the trail being crowded, but it really wasn't too bad.  We both enjoyed the change of scenery from our normal run routes.

Unfortunately, out of nowhere around mile 4, I got nauseous.  I was literally in the middle of a sentence and had to stop to avoid throwing up.  It was bad.  I walked for a bit and my stomach settled.  But for the rest of the run, I had to work hard to ignore the rolling of my stomach.  When we started the run, I really wanted to do 9 miles...unfortunately when we hit 8, I knew that I wasn't going to make it.  Margaret was so patient with me and didn't seem annoyed at all when I said that I wanted to stop at 8.5 miles.

I am not happy that I missed 2 workouts and had to cut one slightly short. However, it does make me feel better that I'm in Week 3 of a 16 week training plan.  I have plenty of time to get myself ready.

1 comment:

  1. Thought I'd finally comment since I got a shout-out! :) I'm so glad that we were able to run together - thanks for meeting me someplace different! 8.5 miles was perfect!!
    ~Margaret

    ReplyDelete