Sunday, August 18, 2013

Race Report: IronGirl Columbia

After my pre-race freak out, I decided that I was going to do my best to relax and enjoy the experience.  Friday I went to packet pick-up with the little ones.  Now, because I was originally registered as a relay team member, I needed to see Sheila to fix my registration.  She was awesome and gave my a number and white swim cap for my age group.  I attended the pre-race meeting, although a lot of it was geared towards those in the crowd who had never done a tri before.  When the little ones got restless, we left.

I took my bike over to bike racking on Saturday.  I was there early so there were not many bikes racked yet.  I easily found my spot and luckily I was next to the pole...that means one thing...EXTRA ROOM!  After leaving the bike, we drove the bike course.  I've ridden most of the course but I really wanted to drive it from start to finish.  After we had driven it, I felt even better about things...no hills that I can't handle...although wet roads will make things interesting.

So on Sunday morning, I decided to take the shuttle from the Sheraton instead of trying to find parking near Centennial Park.  It was very easy and convenient.  As I walked into transition, the first person I saw was Elliott doing body marking.  I decided that it was a great time to get marked and have a chat with her.

Elliott is one of the "helpers" with both Anne's indoor and outdoor swim clinics.  She recognized me immediately and gave me a hug.  I told her I was nervous and we talked through each of my "issues".  As we were talking, Anne and Caroline came up.  So we all chattend for a minute, then I went on to set up my transition area.

The extra room was great, since I wasn't sure that Stephen would be there in time to take my bag.  I put the towel on top of my bag.  I put my shoes in the middle of the towel to try to keep them moderately dry.  Yes, it was raining off and on all day.  It was never a hard downpour, but there were several periods of steady rain. 

I walked over to the bathrooms and ran into Meghan (running coach).  She had gone to a Jimmy Buffett concert the night before and was feeling the effects.  It was good to see her though...I definitely needed the laughs.  After our bathroom break, we went our separate ways.  I was on my own until I walked over to the swim start.  I saw the MMTC tent and found Andi.  It was nice to chat with her since it's been awhile since I've seen her. 

Before long, it was time for my wave to start.  I was feeling remarkably calm at this point.  We walked into the water...the ramp was a bit slippery but I managed not to fall.  I couldn't decide if I should tread water or stay where I could touch until 1 minute to go.  I decided to tread thinking it could be a good warm up for me.  The horn blew and we were off.
I took a few strokes and felt the panic rising.  I was having trouble breathing even though I had done my breathing bobs and was exhaling under water.  I thought for a second that I should just stop and gather myself.  I looked back and saw a mass of arms coming at me...no stopping here!  So I just kept going.  I focused on counting my strokes.  1, 2, breathe, 1, 2, breathe. 

Before long, I wasn't feeling the panic and I wasn't having trouble breathing anymore.  I settled in to a comfortable pace and tried to avoid any contact from my fellow swimmers.  The only problem I had was a lady who was doing breaststroke and had a wide kick.  I couldn't seem to get away from her and her kicks were dangerously close to landing a hard body shot to my midsection.  At one point I put my hand out knowing that she would kick it.  I just wanted her to know that I was there.  After that she seemed to stay in her own space.

I got out of the water and ran to transition knowing it was a good swim.  That's the first time I saw Stephen and the girls.  Seeing them during a race is always a motivator!  Stephen took this picture of me trying to run to transition...at this very moment I actually tripped and was in the process of trying not to wipe out.  I'm such a klutz.
I got on the bike and pedaled out of the park.  I was passing people right from the start.  There's not much to say about the bike, except that I felt like I passed hundreds of people.  I did not get passed by one single person.  The bike was a huge confidence builder.  I took the uphills at an appropriate pace, pushed it on the flats and flew down the downhills.  It was awesome.

Ryann and her friends were waiting for me outside of the Terra Maria neighborhood.  It was cool to see them there cheering me on.  Ryann said that they stayed there for another hour and a half watching and cheering for the bikers.  She said that several women thanked them for being at the top of a hill and cheering.

Stephen and the girls were sitting by the road as I was about to turn back into the park.  It was cool to see them at this point.  I was so happy with my ride!
Coming into transition was a little scary.  We had to run down a grassy hill with our bikes to get to our spots.  I was sure that I was going to wipe out.  Luckily I didn't fall and safely made it to my spot.  Racked the bike, put on running shoes and visor, and I was off.

As I started the run, my legs felt pretty dead.  I thought it was just that bike-to-run thing, but after about a half mile, I could tell that it was more than that.  Apparently I left it all on the bike course.  I struggled to maintain a decent pace on the run...then I struggled just to run.  I've run around the lake countless times but I never realized how hilly it is.  I was thinking that the only hill would be Gatorade Hill, but there were several short but nasty hills leading up to it.  I couldn't keep a 10 minute pace, then I couldn't keep at 10:30 pace.  Ugh.  I was losing all the ground I had gained on the bike.

When I had a mile to go, I finally had hit my stride.  I had walked twice leading up to that point.  When I started to run after the second walk break, I felt like I had gotten my second wind.  I was down to a 10:30 pace, then a 10 minute pace, then finally a 9:30.  Before you knew it, I was crossing the finish line.  Ugh...just more proof that this body is not built for speed! I need more distance in order to get into my groove...or more training.  I definitely need to work in more brick workouts. 

Overall this was a great experience.  I conquered the swim panic demons, didn't let the wet roads hamper my bike and kept on going despite a disappointing pace in the run.  So the biggest thing that I've learned is that I should do more to conserve energy on the bike so that my legs are not totally spent on the run.  I'm looking forward to the IronGirl Rocky Gap!  (only 3 weeks away!)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I didn't see you there! Great report! :)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that we missed each other. It would have been cool to see you and your Spin90 cheering section! See you Tuesday.

      Delete