Sunday, September 15, 2013

My Competitive Nature

I have been trying to challenge myself by working out with groups that are faster/stronger/better/more experienced than I am.  I figure the best way to improve my performance is to surround myself with people who can challenge me.

The swimming class that I take every Tuesday and Thursday has some VERY fast swimmers.  I'm not the slowest in the class, but I'm pretty close.  The instructor (Pam) has been telling me that my stroke is good; I just need to get a little more efficient. But the class shows me that I am in the bottom percent of swimmers...at least in that class.

Today I rode with the Crofton Bike Doctor group.  They ride every Sunday.  The last time I rode with them, the lead pack left me in a few miles.  Today I made it about 8 miles before I had to drop off their pace.  I was fine when they were just warming up, but once they hit their true riding pace, I was left in the dust.  Now I consider myself to be a decent biker...almost good...but I'm no match for this group.

Honestly it was a bit of an ego crusher today.  I knew that these guys keep a fierce pace, but I really didn't expect to fall off that quickly.  I wanted to see how long I could keep up with them and I was disappointed that it wasn't longer.

Yes, all of this is a direct result of my competitive nature.  It's very hard for me to go into a situation and be one of the worst.  But when I'm knowingly putting myself into these situations in order to improve, I need to learn to take my lumps...because I am improving...a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment