Monday, September 30, 2013

Scheduling Issues

I am a detailed scheduler.  If you look at my calendar, there is a ton written on it every day.  And even if it's not written on the calendar, I have a daily schedule in my head which includes family, work and training responsibilities.

The problem I've had this past weekend is that my schedule and my family's schedule didn't align so that I could fit everything in.  Unfortunately because of childcare issues, the training portion has suffered and I did not get in my long run this past weekend.  On Saturday, I was supposed to run 13 miles according to the official plan.  Since I haven't hit a double digit long run yet, MY plan was to do 10 miles.  However, I did none since I didn't have anyone to watch the little ones while I ran. 

Since I couldn't run, I made it my rest day which is normally Monday.  So the idea was to get a long run in today (Monday).  Well, last night when I was looking at the schedule for the day, I realized why I originally made Monday the rest day...it's jam packed with stuff already!  When am I going to find 2 hours to run? It just isn't there.

This is crunch time in the training plan.  These next 3 weeks are the crucial time to get the mileage in.  I know that one missed run is not going to ruin my entire training, however I need to make sure that one missed run does not turn into more missed runs. 

I have no doubt that the training I've done so far has put me in a great place physically and mentally for the race.  I'm trying really hard not to freak out about the missed run and the fact that when I run today, I probably won't have time to run the full 10 miles.  I need to realize that one training session does not make or break the race results.  Plus my running has been feeling really good lately which has boosted my confidence.  Since my running performance has always been very dependent on my mental state, it's great that I've had positive runs lately.

I can do this.  I will be fine.  OK, mental pep talk is over.  You may return to your own daily schedules now!

No comments:

Post a Comment