Thursday, February 20, 2014

Foot Surgery DONE!

Yesterday was the surgery.  I had to be at the surgery center at noon and I wasn't allowed to eat anything after 5 am.  So since I wasn't willing to lose sleep to get up that early to eat, I decided to start my fasting when I went to bed.  In preparation for that, I basically ate everything in the house.  It was ridiculous.

I didn't sleep well...I tossed and turned all night.  In the morning we took the little ones for their annual doctor check ups.  By the time we got home, I only had about half an hour to get some work done before we had to head to the surgery center.  I was really getting nervous at this point.  I read the pre- and post-op instructions 4 times.

Stephen drove me to the surgery center and I think we were both pretty nervous.  I just didn't know what to expect.  Once we got there, everyone was so nice.  They really took time to make sure that we both felt comfortable.  Before long, I was my jovial self.

The procedure didn't take long and we were back on our way home by mid-afternoon.  My foot basically felt like it was asleep.  I was starving so when we got home, I ate some light food so that I didn't upset my stomach.

I kept my foot elevated and tried to keep ice on it.  When I got up to go to the bathroom for the first time, I got a reality check.  It was shockingly painful.  I had Stephen help me get in and out of the bathroom.  Putting weight on the foot was really not a good feeling.

Sleeping was awful.  I couldn't get comfortable and I probably didn't sleep more than 30 minutes at a time.  I kept the boot on all night so that the foot didn't get bumped.  Keeping it elevated and in the boot would have been fine if I could sleep on my back...but being a side sleeper made this very challenging.

I think I was a bit too optimistic about how much I would be able to do during these first few days.  It does feel the best to just lay on my back with it propped up on pillows.  Walking on the boot is going to take some practice.  It's a very weird feeling.

So the recovery has begun...

No comments:

Post a Comment