Friday, March 25, 2011

Let It Go

Life has not been what I had expected recently.  So there are a lot of things that I have to "let go" right now.

I have a goal of breaking 2 hours in a half marathon.  Ever since the Baltimore half, I have had it in my mind that I will achieve that goal at this year's OC Half on April 30th.  However my training has not been at the same level that it was prior to Baltimore.  I haven't been doing speed work in the same way and my long runs have for the most part been a struggle.  I have only run 10 miles once so far.  The training plan calls for a 10 miler this Saturday but the running group is planning to do 7.  So here are 2 things that I'm letting go:  2 hours and the training plan.  Prior to Baltimore, I was devoted to the plan.  I looked at it every day and planned how I would get the training in.  This time around I don't have time to even look at it every day.  So really, until I just pulled it out, I had no idea how far behind I really was.  I am not concerned about being able to complete the 13.1 miles.  But I know that without the proper attention to the plan, I'm probably not going to break 2 hours.

IT'S OK!  I have realized that it is OK if I don't break 2 hours at this race.  There are other half marathons yet to come.  2 hours is a very fast time...I absolutely have the ability to do it.  If not in April, maybe I'll run a half in May or September in Chestertown.  That's another flat course that would allow for fast times.  Or maybe I'll make it a year from now...or 2 years from now...

The epiphany that I've recently had is that it doesn't matter.  Life is not about the destination...it's all about the journey!  I have met amazing people who have changed my life in many ways along this journey from being a non-athlete to being a runner.  I will meet many more as I continue my journey.  I have also had a positive impact on many of these same people. 

So what if I don't break 2 hours?  I have let it go...and it feels really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment