Friday, March 4, 2011

On The Right Track

Ryann started track practice this week.  I was thrilled that she decided to go out for track.  The coach told her that she had a week to decide whether she wanted to run distance or sprints.  In my mind, the decision was obvious.  Ryann has run numerous 5K races with me and she is not a fast sprinter.  So of course she would be a distance runner...just like I was in high school.

Day 1 of track practice - I picked her up and she tells me that she practiced with the sprinters.  I said, OK now you've had a taste of the sprinters' workout now tomorrow you can practice with the distance runners.

Day 2 of track practice - I picked her up and again she says she worked out with the sprinters.  So now I'm starting to get frustrated.  I know her friend Audrey is a sprinter so I assume she's just running with the sprinters so she can hang out with Audrey.

Day 3 of track practice - Again the sprinters.  Really?  Finally I tell her that I think she's making a mistake by choosing to be a sprinter.  I tell her that she is much better at running distance and that when it comes to the meets I'm afraid that she won't do as well if she runs the sprints.  So my child (when did she become a teenager anyway) says to me "I don't care about being good.  I like the workouts that the sprinters do and I don't want to run 6 miles like the distance runners have to do.  I'm running track to stay in shape not to be good at it."

Then it hits me...Ryann is not me.  I was projecting my personality onto her.  I want to set goals for my running and get faster and receive age group awards in the races I run.  But Ryann wants to stay in shape.  Wow.  So I mentally reminded myself that sometimes children do know what is best for them.  I am SO thankful that Ryann is the kind of kid that will tell me the reasons behind her decisions.  If she had never opened her mouth, I would still be pushing her to do something that isn't right for her.  Now that I know WHY she decided to work out with the sprinters, I can support it. 

Every day of my life as a mother I am faced with making decisions for my children and trying to lead them in the right direction.  Every so often, at times like this, I am stopped in my tracks and reminded that my job as a mother is really, really hard...but when you have great kids, it makes it a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment