Monday, August 22, 2011

A Difficult Decision

It seems like 2011 has been the year of really difficult decisions for me.  I have been recently faced with several.  The one that relates to this blog is my choice to enter the Baltimore Half Marathon.  I have registered and paid my money.  So in essence, I've made a commitment to do it.  That's the problem...

The Baltimore Half is on Oct. 15th which is roughly 2 months away.  Based on my training plan, I should have run 8 miles on Saturday.  I struggled to get 6 in.  I know that I am not a good runner when I'm running by myself.  I go slower and run a shorter distance than when I'm running with other people.  I also know that I'm a better runner when I'm strong.  Since I'm temporarily living at my parents' house for 3 more weeks, then moving to a new area, I have not been going to a gym.  I plan to start at a gym when we get to the new house but this transition time is too crazy to try to throw in a gym membership.

And I've mentioned a few times on this blog that I'm an extremely competitive person.  I would not be happy just to finish the half.  I have already run 3 so "just finishing" doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment.  I want to break 2 hours.  If I can't achieve that, I really want to run better than I did last year.  Based on my current level of ability, I'm nowhere near accomplishing either.

So, after much consideration, I have decided to continue training but take the pressure off.  I'm going to run the 5K instead of the Half.  I know, I know...some of my readers will think this is being a quitter.  However, I know that if I put together a lousy performance in the Half, I'll be pissed.  So for my mental sanity for the next 2 months (which are going to be incredibly hectic anyway), I have decided to take the pressure off and not run the Half. 

As soon as I made that decision, I immediately felt better.  Right now I have to make all my decisions based on what feels right.  This one feels right.  So I'm sorry to Dave who will say that I should suck it up and get out there and train properly and I'll be able to do it.  But right now being a quitter is EXACTLY what I need to be.

1 comment:

  1. I also wanted to say that you're not alone! I wanted to break two hours for the Salisbury half, but after a knee injury in May and now a pulled butt muscle (did you know you can do that?!), I've decided to take the pressure off too. There will be many more years and many more races to run!

    ReplyDelete