Monday, August 8, 2011

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

I'm too young to remember this movie but the line always stuck in my head.  It can be very lonely to run.  It can also be very comforting to run alone.  For me, it depends on the day.

Since things have been so crazy for me in the last week, I haven't gotten much running in.  I ran 3 miles on Friday and 4 miles this morning.  I have got to get my miles in!  I'm starting to wonder if I am going to be able to keep up with my training program considering all the changes I have coming up in the next 6 weeks. 

Friday's run was difficult because halfway through I realized that I should have used the bathroom before I started.  So it was an uncomfortable second half of the run.  Today's run was difficult because my legs were not working right.  I was telling them to run faster but they weren't listening.  I settled into a pace and realized that it was over a minute per mile slower than what I normally run on my long runs!  Wow...it really didn't feel that slow.

Of course there is one variable that adds to the difficulty of running here vs. running in OC...hills.  It's not like there are constant hills but every step has a grade to it.  At the beach, everything is flat.  There is no grade at all.  Maybe training on hills and constant grade will better prepare me for the Baltimore Half.  I certainly hope so...especially considering my mileage is lacking at the moment!

I also need to find a gym and QUICKLY!  I don't want to lose strength.  So that will be on my list of priorities.

I am really hoping that I will be able to run with the OC Running Club on Saturday.  The plan calls for 6 miles.  I know that if I'm running with the group, I'll actually do the 6 miles.  If I'm running alone, I can't guarantee that I won't give into my head when it tells me that I should really stop.  I'm really not a good solo runner unless it's a race.  I am going to have to get more mentally strong if I'm going to keep up with my training plan and endure the Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment