Thursday, October 27, 2011

Grace's First 5K

Last weekend we were in Ocean City for the weekend and my good friend Lisa Long was hosting her annual Autism Expect a Miracle 5K in Berlin.  So the plan was for Ryann to watch the little ones while I ran the race.  (Stephen had an all day assignment so he wasn't around.)  The morning of the race, Ryann and Ella wouldn't get out of bed, but Grace did her typical morning routine of waking up being ready to go.  So I made a "game time decision" and took Grace and the stroller to Berlin.

Since I haven't been training, I was really concerned about being able to run this race.  Knowing how competitive I am with myself, I knew that no matter what my time was, I would be disappointed since I'm nowhere near where I was in the beginning of the summer.  So having Grace with me was perfect!  No pressure at all to run a good time when you're pushing a stroller!

I convinced Colleen to run/walk the race with me.  It didn't take much convincing!  :)  We started in the back and enjoyed a nice chat while we completed the course.  We did a brisk walk for about the first mile, then we jogged for the rest of the race.  Since Colleen is in much better shape than I am, she ended up pushing the stroller more than I did. 

Here is Gracie crossing the finish line and completing her first 5K! 

What a great day!  The weather was beautiful, the course was nice and the people were fun.  It was so great to see all my old workout and running buddies!  I had a blast even though it was the slowest time I've ever run.  Sometimes running is not about the amount of time it takes you to finish...it's about the time you have while you're running!  I had a GREAT time!

No comments:

Post a Comment