Sunday, October 28, 2012

Commitments

It has been 2 weeks since the Baltimore half marathon and I haven't been able to run at all during that time. While this has been a painful time with my knee, this has been an enlightening time when I think about my motivation. A year ago I stopped running because I had no motivation...I was making excuses and finding all sorts of reasons why I couldn't run. Now that I really can't run, it gives me some time to think about my priorities.

Clara is my personal trainer. I meet with her every Monday. She adds strength training to my running workouts.  I'm sure she has been frustrated with me over the last few months. I've been doing just the basic and have not been eating properly. So I'm publicly promising her that I'm going to dedicate myself to doing the right things in terms of food and strength training. I am stating it now, with her help, I'm going to lose the 10 pounds that I really need to lose by the end of the year. With 10 fewer pounds to lug around, I can be leaner and faster! I am also committing to her that I'm going to continue our work throughout the week. One day of strength training is good, but I should be doing more to supplement my running.

In addition to those commitments, I'm making a commitment to myself. I have certain goals that I would like to achieve with my running. Anyone who knows me knows how important it is for me to break 2 hours. I know that I can do this. However, it's going to take some prioritizing on the days where I've formerly struggled to fit running into my schedule. This past training cycle, I really only ran on Saturdays and Wednesdays when the training group was meeting. This coming training cycle is going to be different...if I have to get up super early to fit in a run, I'm going to do that.

I am going to break that 2 hour mark. I'm going to train better in all areaas and I'm going to prove to myself that I can fit proper training into my schedule.

The Marine Corps Marathon is today. I watched the start of it. My friend Andi is running it as her very first marathon. She has accomplished so many amazing athletic feats in the last year and she inspires me so much. I hope she has a great run today and I can't wait to hear all about it. She definitely trains right...and she does running and triathlon training together...this is possible. I can do this! I just need to be focused and not let life get in the way.

I should be cleared to run again on Monday. I will take this time to get myself where I need to be so that when the next training cycle starts, I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment