Sunday, November 18, 2012

Run For Your Cookies 5K

This past week was my birthday.  I don't want to write a post about my birthday celebrations, but I will mention that I had a happy hour on Friday night.  I agreed to run a 5K on Saturday morning with Daryl.  It was his first 5K.  I figured that since I have him to thank for my new interest in cycling, I should probably support his first running effort. 

I was concerned that I might be a little hung over.  I've run a long run hung over, but never a race.  However, this was my first race since the Baltimore Half and I've done very little since then in the way of training.  So I wasn't expecting a great time...I just wanted to be there to cheer on Daryl.

I woke up to a cold morning.  I dressed in layers and headed down the road. I got there before Daryl so I got myself registered and put my bag of goodies in the car.  The race supported the Girl Scouts and was called "Run For Your Cookies".  I was really hoping there would be a box of cookies in my goodie bag, but unfortunately there wasn't.

Daryl and his wife Cindy showed up a few minutes later.  It was her first 5K also.  I warmed up and walked with them to the starting line.  Based on the number of kids running the race, I knew it would be one of those starts that annoys me...where the kids start out sprinting and then just stop.  I decided that since it was benefitting the Girl Scouts, I should probably either be more accepting of the kids or I should do something to avoid the situation.  I decided to go the avoidance route...I lined up right up front with the really fast runners.

Lining up with fast runners is always a problem for me because it makes me think that I'm one of them. Especially without much training and coming off an injury...the last thing I need to be doing is going out fast in a race.  But that's exactly what I did.  Mile 1 was 8:40 pace...that's a normal 5K 1st mile pace for me, but I am not in a "normal 5K" condition.

The majority of the course was along a pretty paved path.  I spent most of Mile 2 looking around and enjoying the scenery.  Mile 2 pace was above 9 minutes which is where I should have been for Mile 1.  So by the time Mile 3 rolled around, I was struggling.  The only uphills on the course came in Mile 3.  I had a few other issues going on...namely I was overheating and should have taken off my outer layer but didn't want to be bothered...and the uphills were aggravating my knee.  On the longest hill, I actually walked.  I never walk in a 5K! 

So I crossed the finish line in just under 30 minutes...29:49.  However, full disclosure, the course was not a full 5K.  After crossing the finish line, I walked across the street and watched for Daryl.  It wasn't as long as I thought it might be...in no time at all, I saw Daryl trucking along.  He had a great stride going and (more importantly) a smile on his face.  I cheered him on as he passed and ran back across the street to see him cross the finish line.  I don't remember his exact time but it was somewhere close to 31:30.  That's an AWESOME time for his first 5K!!!

We both went back across the street and watched for Cindy.  Once we cheered her on to the finish, we chatted about our various experiences.  My favorite comment that Daryl made was "that's such a good time for my first 5K that I'm concerned there's not much room for improvement". I chuckled and said "oh you would be surprised".  Daryl still prefers the speed of cycling, but I think he had a good time with the race and I think he'll do more.  I hope so anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment