Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Morning Dilemma: Sleep vs. Running

Every evening before I go to bed, I set the alarm clock on my cell phone.  As I'm doing this, I think about the morning ahead.  Ryann has to get up at 5:45, I need to be in the shower by 6:15, make breakfast for myself and lunches for the girls, get Ryann breakfast and out the door by 6:50, get the little ones up, fed and out the door as quickly as possible, then off to work.  Every evening I consider setting the alarm for 5 so that I can get up and out the door for a quick 3 mile run before it's time to wake Ryann.  Some mornings I actually do set the alarm for 5.  But 9 times out of 10, I don't get up to run when the alarm goes off. 

The little ones tend to wake up in the middle of the night.  They call out for a drink of water, needing to use the bathroom or just wake up crying and scared from a nightmare.  So I wake up when they call out.  Even if they go right back to sleep, I rarely do.  I lay there and worry about what time it is, whether or not I'll wake up feeling exhausted in the morning, did I do everything I should have done before going to bed, etc.  I try to avoid worrying about work during these moments, but sometimes work creeps into my head too.  Eventually I fall back to sleep.

When the alarm goes off at 5, I hit snooze, thinking that I can get dressed and throw my shoes on a little faster and still get in 3 miles, after all the snooze is only 5 minutes.  I hit snooze again thinking that 2 miles might be enough.  I finally reset the alarm knowing that I'm not getting up until I have to wake Ryann.  And really once she gets up and gets in the shower, I should have enough time to go for a run before I need to get in the shower, but again, I just want to crawl back into bed...so I do.  I've even tried to lay out my running stuff on the floor next to the bed so that I have to trip over it in order to get Ryann up...most of the time that doesn't work either.  I'm really NOT a morning person!

I know that sleep is extremely important for a healthy lifestyle.  I also know that fitting running into my schedule is extremely important.  I just can't seem to find the balance between sleep and working out.  Then I think that I'll run or work out in the evenings, but unless I have an appointment with Clara or I'm meeting the running group, something always comes up that is more important.  Why do I keep the "appointments" when I'm meeting others, but can't make the commitment when I'm doing it on my own?

Am I just stuck in a rut of making excuses or is this a challenge that others face too?  If anyone has any great ideas on how to get my motivation back to go for morning runs, PLEASE let me know.

3 comments:

  1. I consider myself a morning person, but not a morning workout/runner person! There is no way I'm getting up when it's dark and cold to go for a run. Nope, Nada. I tried that for a while, and when I say "tried that" I mean I thought about it the night before, but when morning rolled around there was no way it was happening. I finally just gave up because beating myself up for not "doing it" was counter productive. Instead, I do my workouts/runs in the evening. It helps me to NOT GO HOME first - I go directly to the gym or boardwalk, or wherever the designated place is. Going home first would make it way too hard to go back out. Now, in the warmer months when I wait for the sun to start setting and shade forms, I do go home first - but I don't sit down! I know that sounds funny, but change first (changing immediately into running gear is a big help) and then do stuff to stay busy until it's time to go out. You've heard this before - and it's true - once you get into the habit - it's part of your daily routine and it gets easier. If you really, really want to run in the morning (I know a lot of people that do - good for them - just isn't for me), then do as much as possible the night before to make your mornings easier. Pack lunches the night before, have breakfast prepped, coffee maker set, etc. And of course, the running clothes need to be set out. I even read recently an idea to sleep in your clothes - not sure I'd go that far, but I guess it works for someone! Hang in there, you'll get into a rhythm and wonder how you lived without your daily run! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the best comments! You are exactly right...the more you make running a part of the daily routine, the more likely you are to be a success. I can't wait to meet you in person...hopefully soon!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Karen - I look forward to meeting you also! When will you be back to OC?

      Delete