Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dreams of Boston?

OK, quick weekend recap.  No run Saturday.  I worked a double waitressing though, so that has to count for something.  Sunday I met up with Colleen and Michelle and we ran 10 miles on Coastal Highway in OC.  The first 6 miles we all stayed together.  At mile 6, something hit me and I just took off.  Up to that point we were running at a 10 - 10:30 pace.  I decided to book it for the last 4 miles and see how long I could hold a 9 minute pace.  It wasn't the easiest thing to do...I have already blogged about how horrible I am at keeping a steady pace...HOWEVER, I was pretty successful at keeping somewhere close to a 9 minute pace.  I could feel when I was slowing down and just mentally decided to pick it back up...and I did!  This has to be the first successful negative split run I've had (for you non-runners, that's when the end of the run is faster than the beginning).  I am going to try that strategy during the half...run a slower pace to warm up for the first few miles then kick it into my race pace.  It might not get me to break 2 hours but at least I'll be able to gauge how I feel.

Yesterday was the Boston Marathon.  I am so awed by those individuals who train for a marathon in the hopes of qualifying for the ultimate marathon.  Several of the bloggers who I read on a regular basis were running in the Boston Marathon yesterday.  I am so anxious to read about their adventures on the course! 

I have never really wanted to run a full marathon when I think about all the time and effort that goes into the training.  I am overwhelmed with the training for a half marathon right now!  The thought of doubling that is just too much for me to think about.  But I have to admit that I was fantasizing about being in Boston for Marathon Monday yesterday.  Maybe someday when my kids are older and my life is a little more stable, I will consider attempting to run a full marathon.  I would love to add this to my car:

I already have this!!!
Maybe someday...for now it remains a fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment