Friday, December 7, 2012

How Karen Got Her Groove Back

I have always believed that attitude is 90% of the battle.  Those of you who have been reading my blog for awhile have probably been able to tell that my attitude has not been the greatest for the last few months.  Everything was suffering as a result...my workouts, my running, my weight and my overall health. 

Guess what kids?  I'M BACK! 

The funniest thing is that it was a chance meeting that completely changed my attitude. 

So the last few posts have been about my plan.  That was the start of this new 'tude of mine.  Having a plan definitely helps me.  Starting to put it into action was really good and a definite step in the right direction.  But I still didn't have the excitement.

Wednesday evening I went to Ryann's graduation ceremony from the Howard County Leadership U program.  It was a 5 month program where her group had to do a service project.  She had worked very hard, made some new friends and enjoyed herself.  I was excited to celebrate her completion of the program with her.  They sat us at a table with other parents from Marriotts Ridge High School.  Across the table was a couple who I recognized but had never spoken with.  We got to talking and guess what...they are TOTAL triathlon experts!  Abby has been telling me about Anne since I moved back.  That she lives in my neighborhood and is someone I should know.  Anne is a triathlon trainer who does swimming classes at the community college.  They welcomed me to ride with them any time!

The next day I emailed back and forth with Anne and decided to sign up for the swimming class that she teaches.  I sent Matt the information and he is going to sign up as well.  She told me that both of us should register for the intermediate class.  I don't feel like that's where I belong so after some discussion with her about that she said to sign up for beginner and she would evaluate me to see if that's the right class for me.

Ever since meeting Anne, I've been so excited! A chance meeting with someone like her is incredibly motivating for me.  I know that she is so much faster than I am on the bike.  So I need to get myself in gear (see what I did there...cracking myself up) and get in shape on the bike. 

I really think that triathlons are something that I will enjoy.  With the right training from Anne in the pool, my swimming is going to improve SOOO much.  That was the worst leg for me.  And getting better on the bike will happen...I just need more "seat time".  I've got to get out there and do it.  With my newly rediscovered attitude and excitement, it's going to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment