Saturday, December 29, 2012

My 2012 Top 5 List

We travel quite a bit around the holidays.  We spend Christmas with my family on the Eastern Shore and right after Christmas we leave for Tennessee to visit Stephen's family.  Because of the way the holidays fell this year, we haven't been at home for more than 12 hours since Saturday the 22nd.  This kind of a travel schedule tends to throw a bit of a kink into training programs.

I am not worried about it...I have quite a training routine laid out for after the new year.  But I'm seeing the effects of holiday eating and not working out like normal. 

As we get closer to New Year's Eve, everyone seems to be looking back at 2012 and doing "the best of" lists.  So here is mine...

Top 5 Moments in my Athletic Year 2012

5.  The Baltimore Half Marathon - going into this race, I was very optimistic about my ability to finish in a great time.  I was hoping for a PR and thinking that there might be a slight chance I could break 2 hours.  My knee had other ideas and starting at mile 7 I struggled with run/walking the rest of the race.  I still finished the race even though the thought crossed my mind to drop out.  I learned a lot about myself that day...and I learned that not every race has to be a PR to be a great learning experience.

4.  The Salisbury Half Marathon - running a half marathon with my good friend Colleen was something that I will always cherish.  We started our running careers together and even though we live several hours apart, I still think of her as my very favorite running buddy.  We started the race together, struggled through miles 9-11 together, and finished the race within 30 seconds of each other.  The friends I have made through running mean the world to me and the fact that we did this race together is very special.  I'm so proud of Colleen for the things she's been able to accomplish.

3.  The Ocean City Half Marathon - this is a race that I didn't run this year.  For the first time, I volunteered to help with the race.  I helped with registration, I helped with the race morning packet handout, I helped with the Tshirt sales at the after party.  I realized exactly how much work goes into putting one of these events together.  I gained a brand new appreciation for all the race organizers and volunteers who allow us to run the races that we do.  And I think it's harder to volunteer and help with the race than it is to run the 13.1 miles.  I was exhausted at the end of the day...but I had the opportunity to talk to so many of the participants and experience the race from the other side. 

2.  Finding the CCR Training Group - OK, so this isn't officially a moment but finding the CCR training group was key to getting me back on "track".  Without a running group, I find myself struggling to even get out the door.  But with a group, I am able to stay motivated to do my training.  Plus, the people who are in this training group are awesome people.  They are so willing to share their knowledge and really want everyone in the group to succeed. 

1.  The Osprey Sprint Triathlon - my very first triathlon was an amazing experience.  It was so much fun and I was surprised at how well I did with no training.  This event inspired me to focus my training in 2013 toward more triathlons, including longer distance tris.  As a result of my excitement, I've been talking to everyone about triathlons...which allowed me to meet Anne who connected me to the training groups for swimming and triathlon biking.  I am so excited to see where this leads me in 2013!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment