Wednesday, December 19, 2012

People Watching

I love to watch people.  It's a guilty pleasure.  I often get caught staring at someone because I'm trying to figure them out just by their facial expressions, the way they carry themselves and their appearance.  A college friend used to share this joy with me, except she took it one step further and would create fake conversations between these people we were observing.  (Yes I'm talking about you LLL)  Her fake conversations for these strangers would leave me laughing so hard I'd be in tears.

Anyway, since I love running, my eye is often caught by other people who are running.  I live in a great neighborhood for running and a lot of my neighbors run quite frequently. 

There's my daughter's friend's mom who looks like she is sprinting every time I see her.  She runs 3-4 miles when she runs, so I would love to know what her pace is.  All I know is that she's FAST!

Then there's my neighbor who annoys me with the way she and her family screw up the parking in the neighborhood.  (That's a whole different topic but parking is a pet peeve of mine.)  Anyway, she is tall and skinny and reminds me of a fishing bobber because all she does is bob up and down when she runs...I don't know how she covers any distance because all her effort is going up and down.

I have been working odd hours recently because work has been so hectic.  I've been leaving earlier in the mornings and coming home later in the evenings.  So I'm seeing a whole new set of runners. 

There is one guy who I noticed because he's a minimalist runner...he wears what looks like a glove on his feet.  It even has toes! I couldn't imagine running in a shoe like that.  He is Asian, which I only mention because there are a lot of Asian people in my neighborhood but very few that I see running. 

I also notice his stride...he always looks extremely at ease when he's running.  I'm sure every ounce of the effort I am making shows on my face when I'm running.  If you just saw this guy's face, you'd never know that he was running.  And I can never tell if he's just starting out or finishing up a long run.  He also wears really bright colors which is what caught my eye at first. 

So it seems like every day for the past week I've seen him running.  It didn't matter if I left the house at 6 am...I would pass him running up the main hill in the neighborhood.  Or I would be meeting Clara at the gym at 5 pm...there he was trucking up that same hill.  Then one day I came home mid afternoon.  Guess who I saw - yep, brightly dressed Asian minimalist runner man.

So I started wondering about this man.  How much does he run?  Is he training for something?  Does he have a family and is just trying to fit in workouts whenever he can? 

People watching can be fun but it definitely is frustrating in this instance.  I want to know more about why this man seems to run ALL the time!

3 comments:

  1. I <3 watching people run. There's this one guy that I see at all the local races (I've only ever seen his back while he's passing me!) anyway, he runs on his toes! It's so weird and painful looking. As a result he has HUGE calves (I'm guessing that's why). Then there's the guy that has an odd leg thing happening. His leg swings to the outside when he's running - hard to explain - but instead of his leg being behind him it's way (WAY) out to the side. Then a guy in my neighborhood would be out EVERY morning @ 7am (I'd see him as I was leaving for work). I saw him for months - every day, rain ... snow ... heat -- like clockwork. I watched his body change from average to lean and mean. Sadly, I haven't seen him in a couple of months ... Those are the ones I really wonder about. Did he just get burned out. I sure hope he wasn't injured. Anyway - I'm sure people look at me too - only because I'm sure I've got the most painful look on my face (race photo's prove that fact). That is why I wear sunglasses and a visor - to hide the obvious pain.

    So - let's hear about the annoying neighbor with their inconsiderate parking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,
    I would love to share my annoying neighbor parking issues but it makes me sound petty...which I'm really not! Basically the neighbor has a nanny who parks in my spot almost every day. The nanny leaves at 6 but by then she has already messed up the parking for everyone on my side of the street. I hold the neighbor responsible...she should be telling the nanny to park in the designated visitor parking and not in the spots right in front of my house! Ahhh, the joys of townhouse living...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not petty at all! I would be unhappy also (and probably leave a note on her windshield - since I hate confrontations and would be unable to say anything to her face!) Hey - a note on the windshield is the way to go....
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete