Thursday, January 3, 2013

Brrr Track

So YAY Track! turned into Brrr Track yesterday.  It was showing 30 degrees on my car thermometer as I pulled into the high school.  I was a little late so the group had already started their warm up laps.  I joined in on lap 2.  It was dark...and COLD.

I was dressed appropriately...layers...head covered...gloves...not too over dressed.  But as I started the workout, I realized that I was still cold.  My fingers went numb.  My bones hurt.  It was literally bone chilling cold.

We did what Meghan called Yasso 800's.  (I have no idea if that's how you spell it.  I copied the spelling from Andi's Facebook post since I just automatically assume that she knows what she's talking about!)  Anyway, the idea is that you run an 800 at race pace, then run a SLOW recovery 800.  Repeat that process for 4-6 rounds. 

I only made it 3 rounds.  My kneecap was hurting.  Like I said, it was bone chilling cold.  My right kneecap started hurting in the 2nd round and by the end of the 3rd, it was really painful.  It didn't hurt at all if I walked, but as soon as I started running, it hurt.  So I took that as a cue that I should stop.  There is no need to push myself to injury this early in my training.  Way too much to accomplish this year!! 

Did I mention it was cold?  I got in my car to leave and it was 26 degrees.  Brrr.  It took me a hot shower, 2 cups of hot tea and warm fuzzy socks before I could get rid of the chill.

So I have to say that I'm glad that I went to track practice.  The thought crossed my mind several times to just blow it off.  I'm glad that I ignored that thought.  The beginning of the training program always makes me feel slow.  I couldn't keep up with my regular group (Glenda, Heather, etc.).  As soon as Meghan caught up with us, she and Andi took off and again I couldn't keep up.  Thankfully Erin was nice enough to run slowly with me.  I felt badly that when I stopped running because of my kneecap, she had to run alone for a bit until she caught up with the group in front of her. 

But even though I was slow, it felt GREAT to see everyone again!  This training group is made up of a lot of really good people.  They are friendly, smart, funny and just downright good people.  I'm so glad that I'm back and running with them again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment