Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Going for a Spin

Tonight I started my Spin 90 class.  Now this is NOT a normal spin class.  This class is a triathlon bicycling training class.  I was SO excited until I woke up this morning.  I got a small case of the nerves.

I called Princeton Sports to find out about getting cages on my pedals.  Turns out the nice fellow who answered the phone (John) is the instructor for the Spin 90 class! Imagine my surprise.  We talked for 30 minutes.  I peppered him with questions about my bike and the class in general.  He patiently answered all of my questions and even complimented me with a "that's a really good question".  YAY ME!

Basically he said that I needed a cadence computer much more than I needed cages on my pedals.  So I begged Stephen to take the bike over to Princeton Sports to get the cadence computer installed. 

I drove into the parking lot REALLY early.  I wanted to make sure that I was one of the first ones there so that I could get some help with setting up my bike on the trainer.  John was so nice and helpful, although he did tell me that he laughed when Stephen brought in my bike.  I knew at that moment I was in trouble.

Anne was in the class, which was a nice surprise.  She is the lady who I met at a random event who told me about the training class and who teaches the swimming class that starts at the end of January.  So it was good to see her.  She set up her bike on the trainer directly in front of me.

Let me set the scene a little bit here...this class was held in a warehouse with the dock door opened up to get some cool air into the space.  There were 3 rows of trainers and probably 15 people in the class.  I was not the most out of shape person there, which made me feel more comfortable. 

Everyone's trainers made a pleasant whirring sound as they pedaled...not mine...mine made what I can only describe as a siren.  It was a quiet siren, but a siren none the less.  Anne commented on how noisy my trainer was.  I got self conscious and right before class started, I asked John if something was wrong with my trainer.  He laughed and said "nope, the trainer is fine.  You have bumpy tires.  They make noise."  Ugh.  I imagined my siren being a warning to everyone else in the class...don't ride on bumpy tires, don't ride on bumpy tires.  I need a new bike.

So the workout was really good.  I am so excited for the upcoming workouts where I will learn proper pedaling technique, cadence control, how to tackle hills, and many other things that I can't quite remember now.  As we started the workout, we warmed up and then started drills.  I was fine until we did one legged drills and the pedaling techniques.  John said "for those of you without clips, just keep spinning".  I didn't like just spinning...I wanted to do the drills.  I need a new bike.

The class is an hour long.  Today's session was shortened because of how long it took to get everyone set up the first time and fill out the waivers.  I was totally done when there were 15 minutes left in the class.  I struggled through the last 15 minutes and was annoyed with myself for being so out of shape.  It will not take me long to work up to a good level of fitness. 

I also saw my PT today about my kneecap pain.  The good news is that it's not anything serious!  It's basically tendonitis.  He did some therapy and ultrasound.  It did not hurt at all during the Spin 90 class!  I was very worried about that.  I have it elevated with ice now.  He also said that I am fine to train through this, which was the best news at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment