Saturday, January 5, 2013

Why Running Friends Are So Important

This morning the CCR group was meeting at Lake Elkhorn for the long run.  6 miles were on the schedule.  I knew it was going to be a cold morning so I planned out my attire the night before.  I went to bed with a migraine, but normally it is gone when I wake in the morning...today was different...the migraine was still there in the morning.

So I very quickly realized that there would be no run for me today.  I sent Meghan an email and Erin a Facebook message.  I didn't want anyone worried about me or waiting for me. 

After a run, I normally check Facebook for posts from my running group friends.  I commented on Erin's post and said that the worst part about not making the run this morning was that I would have to run on my own later.  Glenda immediately responded and offered to meet me tomorrow morning. Perfect!  Then Erin said she would join us...even better!

My migraine finally subsided around dinner time this evening.  I didn't get anything athletic done today, which is a further setback in my training for the DC Rock n Roll Half.  But the fact of the matter is that I still have 10 weeks to get ready, and come race day, I will be prepared to cover the distance despite missing my long run today.

But without the support of my running friends, I might not have enough motivation to run tomorrow either.  Knowing that they are counting on me to show up gives me just enough guilt to actually force myself to do things when I don't feel up to it.  This morning was different.  I couldn't function with the migraine, much less run several miles.  You know that famous song lyric, "I get by with a little help from my friends"...well that pretty much sums up my entire running career!

No comments:

Post a Comment