Thursday, February 10, 2011

How Do I Do It?

As a busy mother of 3 kids, working a full time job and juggling 2 other part time positions, I have very little free time.  That's why some of these blog posts will be sporatic.  However, I have always tried to put my running as a priority.  Things are getting busier and my training seems to be suffering.  I made the comment at the gym this morning that I might as well just back out of the Ocean City Half Marathon. 

Seriously?  Did that really come out of my mouth?  There's no way I'm backing out of the OC Half!!!  Yes it's going to be challenging to find the time and energy to devote to training.  But this is my passion.  This is my escape from the issues and struggles of normal every day life.  Running is fun.  I am a better mother, wife and friend because I am a runner.

People ask me all the time "How do you do it?"  I'm not sure what that question really means but most of the time I figure they are asking how I find the time.  I am lucky that my husband is more than willing to play solo dad while I go out and run.  I am also lucky that most of the time when I'm working out or running, I leave the house before anyone else is awake.  I am also extremely committed to my training despite my recent challenges with my schedule.

Is it easy to train for a half marathon?  NO.  Is it always convenient?  NO.  But it's something I love to do and it's something that I am willing to make sacrifices for.  So I apologize for my momentary lapse of judgement this morning.  I absolutely WILL be running the OC Half regardless of the pressures I am under between now and then.  I will cross that finish line!  My goal is to cross in under 2 hours but if I don't, it just means that the journey continues to another race.  It is a major accomplishment just to finish a half marathon.  I need to remember that sometimes.

So readers...how do you stay focused on training when life's challenges threaten to take you off course?  I'd love to hear some comments.

1 comment:

  1. Don't stress past 5pm...The day is over! Drink a beer, take hot shower...tomorrow is just another day! Train on!

    ReplyDelete