Sunday, February 27, 2011

Land Softly Grasshopper

Lisa has been watching a lot of the Karate Kid lately...the original Karate Kid.  We were doing a workout that required jumping rope.  I asked her how I was supposed to jump rope without hurting my foot worse.  Channeling her inner Miyagi, she told me to "land softly grasshopper".


I thought it was funny at the time and I tried to jump rope and land softly.  Actually I landed on my toes so it wasn't really that painful.  But the more I thought about landing softly grasshopper, the more I realized that I probably caused my foot pain by NOT landing softly.  Working in the restaurant, I'm wearing shoes with poor support and I'm rushing up and down the steps that are all over the place.  So at work I have been focused on landing softly.

I also did not run on Saturday.  Instead of the 7 miles everyone else ran, I borrowed Lisa's bike and rode 14 miles.  Here is a photo of the run group with Lisa's bike...that represents me since I was taking the picture!
Left to right...Keith, Colleen, Laura, Barry, Mo and Pat.  Chris, Don and Mark had already taken off on their run by the time we got there.  I was a little concerned about riding the bike since it's the first time I've been on a bike in a LONG time.  But there is a saying "just like riding a bike" for a reason.  It's easy.  I felt like I was going pretty fast.  I need to do some research on what fast really means on a bike.

So after a weekend of landing softly grasshopper and biking instead of running, I am feeling much better.  While my foot still hurts, it is much less painful than it was on Thursday.  Another week of landing softly and I think I'll still be able to run the Tim Kennard 10 mile race next Sunday.  At least I hope I can!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha. I am a zen master! That's a funny one. "Land softly grasshopper" one of the mantras that will repeat in my head as I run.

    ReplyDelete